Saturday 18 January 2014

Loop


There are days when I am a cassette player.  When I was a kid we had a really old one, a bit of a fossil really.  It would get stuck and the tape would skip back and forth.  The same line would be sung again and again, like an obsession.

It often starts with a memory.  Me, picking a fight over something silly or asking him not to do something that he wanted to do.  At times he would be so stoic that his lack of reaction would cause me to continue to argue my case, well beyond what was necessary.  And he would continue to withdraw, fuelling my irritation further.

Other times it would be a revision of what happened in that first eighteen months.  The vaginismus that I started self-treating eight months into our marriage (but what if I had started earlier?).  The six to eight months of treatment that saw me cured (but why didn't I do it faster?).  The multitude of other excuses he produced for why he couldn't love me (my annoying mannerisms, my lack of 'self-awareness', my failure to clean the kitchen adequately for godssakes).

On the good days, the rational part of my brain wins.  The one that knows that the fights I picked were minor, usually justified and fairly on par with those in other people's marriages.  That I (mostly) reacted in a healthy way to the situation at hand. 

Miss Rational knows that dealing with a sexual dysfunction is easier imagined in hindsight than done.  There is the shame, the crippling feeling of inadequacy, the hope that one day it will all just work, somehow.  And all of that comes after the realisation that something is actually, seriously wrong. That this is not normal.  If a woman gets past all that and draws together the courage to seek treatment, there are the medical professionals, many of them who know very little about the condition much less how to diagnose it.

But there are also bad days.  The times when my mind is sucked into the vortex of regret, self-doubt and endless questioning.

 Those bad days, when rationality takes a back seat,  are the ones where for the entire day, one or two thoughts run in a loop in the cassette player of my mind.


If I had fixed this earlier....if I was what he wanted in every other way, he would have loved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment